Con Edison Policy Statement on Environmental Justice
Con Edison is privileged to serve some of the most diverse communities in the world. As a company, we understand the need to consider potential environmental impacts of our activities and investments on all customers regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin or income. We can only do this by listening to, learning from and understanding the concerns of our customers in disadvantaged communities and working with them to make certain that they are treated fairly.
Con Edison, through its commitment to environmental justice, aims to ensure that:
- Disadvantaged communities are not disproportionally burdened by our operations, while at the same time continuing to maintain reliable, resilient energy service for all our customers;
- We engage with environmental justice advocates and other community stakeholders so that we may understand the concerns of disadvantaged communities with respect to the design and implementation of Con Edison projects and programs;
- Disadvantaged communities benefit from our clean energy investments in terms of improved quality of life and climate-resilient energy infrastructure;
- We provide opportunities for employment in our clean energy future, focusing on education and skills development in the communities we serve;
- We continue to support disadvantaged communities through volunteerism and contributions to local non-profit groups, particularly those with a focus on education and environmental stewardship;
- In collaboration with our government partners, we work to remediate former utility sites where there is a history of environmental damage;
- There is support for our commercial customers, government and other strategic partners to transition car, bus, and truck fleets to zero-emission vehicles, as we continue to take steps to improve air quality and support livable streetscapes, particularly in disadvantaged communities; and
- Our operations benefit all the communities in which our employees and our customers live, work and study.