Customer & Community
Talent Attraction, Development & Retention
We continually look at who we are, how we work, and how we engage with each other to make sure we are valuing and including the talents, skills, backgrounds, and experiences of our diverse team. We regularly examine and strengthen our policies and procedures, especially those related to our talent-management processes.
Our overall philosophy is to provide compensation and benefit opportunities that are aligned with overall company performance and business conditions. Our intent is to align employee performance with the interest of our customers and shareholders by compensating employees fairly based on their contributions to our success. Among the benefits we offer are retirement and health, as well as tuition assistance, adoption assistance, and wellness programs. The majority of Con Edison’s workforce is employed full time.
To attract, develop, and retain a diverse and inclusive workforce, we accomplished the following in 2019:
- Strategically recruited women in non-traditional careers, veterans, and people with disabilities through our continued partnership with programs such as:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters’ STEM education mentorships
- Nassau Community College’s URGENT Women, which trains women seeking careers in energy
- Power Your Future, a company recruitment event focused on educating female candidates from partner programs about nontraditional career opportunities
- U.S. Army’s Soldier for Life, which provides veterans the resources to learn necessary skills for natural gas jobs
- Awarded as a Best for Vets company by the Military Times in recognition of our supportive culture for veterans – ranked No. 48 out of 100 top companies.
- Honored for our veteran recruitment and retention efforts with the Pro Patria Award from the New York State Committee of the Employee Support for Guard and Reserves. It is the highest award bestowed by the state for companies supporting its employees who are veterans.
- Recognized as a patriotic employer by the U.S. Secretary of Defense’s Employer Support of The Guard and Reserve program for contributing to national security and protecting liberty and freedom by supporting employee participation in America’s National Guard and Reserve.
- Supported working parents with the employee resource groups Moms ON IT and Dads Matter, which help with work-life balance, benefits and resources, including backup childcare services, eldercare solutions, and awareness of the NY State Paid Family Leave policies. Working with the Employee Wellness Center’s Well Baby Care program, we opened three additional lactation rooms across the company.
- Continued to support the development of a diverse and inclusive workplace by offering tuition reimbursement, internal and external training to enhance job-related skills, mentoring and coaching, career counseling workshops, and online career management resources.
- Continued to offer conflict management resources that include mediation, training, and coaching to empower employees to accept responsibility for their performance and relationships with others.
Con Edison, Inc. Minorities and Women in the Workplace Share of Promotions