Customer & Community
Training & Professional Development
Training is one of the most significant investments we can make to ensure our workforce has the skills to complete work functions safely, productively, and in compliance with our operational excellence principles.
To prepare employees for the future demands of the workplace, our goal is to continue creating a dynamic learning experience with state-of-the-art technology that builds on our strong learning foundation. The Learning and Inclusion division provides training and development opportunities via The Learning Center (TLC), Talent Management, and Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
- TLC’s cross-functional digital learning strategy team continued their work in 2018 to drive student engagement and learning retention – and ultimately enhance the entire learning experience and company performance – by replacing the Learning Management System with a digital learning platform. This multi-year capital project’s objective is to incorporate new technology and training methods; meet compliance and regulatory obligations; and provide the best, most convenient training experience that includes mobile learning for anywhere, anytime. Digital learning pilot projects this year included the creation of course eBooks, technical training videos and other digital tools.
- TLC initiated a scheduling and enrollment change that will return approximately 10,000 productive hours to operations in 2018. By pairing the newly redesigned four-hour OSHA refresher course with other four-hour Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) training – such as emergency response refresher and fire safety – TLC reduces employees’ downtime traveling from the training center to their workout location after a four-hour morning class.
- To help employees practice defensive driving skills to reduce motor vehicle accidents, TLC worked with EH&S to implement a driving simulator and develop a multimedia awareness campaign.
- TLC integrated automated external defibrillator (AED) training into the CPR and first aid training, increasing the number of employees qualified to use the AED and thereby substantially decreasing response time for administering critical care during a cardiac first aid event.
- TLC’s Gas Training, along with IT and Facilities, partnered with Gas Operations to construct a Prometric-compliant computer testing space to administer Industrial Training Services Operator Qualification written exams in accordance with Northeast Gas Association and regulatory requirements. Additionally, a variety of new hands-on training enhancements were implemented and over 30 new practical evaluations and 10 new written exams were developed specifically for Con Edison work.
- In support of the company’s Operational Excellence communications initiative to refocus employees on achieving operational excellence in everything we do, TLC integrated Operational Excellence guiding principles into training curriculum, wallet cards, and screen-monitor information segments and videos. Operational Excellence is founded on a deep respect for the complexity, power and unforgiving nature of our energy systems and that we are entrusted to manage them safely and effectively.
- Talent Management continues to provide quality employee programs and services as well as cultivate leadership standards and expectations – all aligned with our corporate priorities of safety, operational excellence, and customer experience. In 2017:
- 27 management interns (recent college graduates) graduated from the Growth Opportunities for Leadership Development Program
- 110 union employees transitioned from union to management positions by completing the Tools for Employees Advancing into Management Program
- 142 participants completed the Leadership Academy for Supervisors
- 505 employees completed the Management Associated Results Company training program
- 54 employees completed the Distribution System Engineering Certificate – Power Technology Institute Program
- 98 employees completed the Comprehensive Project Management Program
- 19 employees completed a newly launched pilot course, Project Risk Management Workshop
- more than 11,000 employees attended leadership, career development, and conflict management courses, seminars and workshops
- the company celebrated our 20th premier leadership program, Business Academy, facilitated by senior officers
- the launch of the Career Management Resource Center online hub for employees resulted in more than 4,700 unique visitors by year-end
- an online Tuition Aid Self Service site was launched, facilitating program enrollment and payment processing for employees choosing to further their education; 119 employees this year completed Associate, Bachelor, or Master program degrees