Reducing Greenhouse Gases
New York City Policy
The company is actively involved in regional programs and initiatives to support the long-term development of clean-energy sources and conservation.
Con Edison supports the long-term development of clean-energy sources and energy conservation measures through our direct action and through our local and state stakeholders. The company is an active and engaged stakeholder in the following regional programs and initiatives:
- The New York State Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS), which calls for 30 percent of the state's energy to come from renewable resources by 2015.
- The New York Public Service Commission's Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard (EEPS), which is designed to reduce New Yorkers' electricity use 15 percent below forecast levels by the year 2015.
- The New York PSC's System Benefits Charge, which funds public benefit programs to accelerate energy innovation through support for scientific research and market analysis, investment in technology development and demonstration, promotion of a clean energy economy through business and market development, acceleration of adoption of clean energy technologies and practices, and the incorporation of more rigorous energy-use standards in codes and industry best practices.
- The Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI), representing a nine-state cooperative effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from electric power plants by means of a cap-and-trade system.
- The State Energy Plan, which develops analyses and policy recommendations to guide the State in reliably meeting its future energy needs in a cost-effective and sustainable manner. The next State Energy Plan was issued in March 2013.
- Executive Order 24, signed by Governor Paterson and re-signed by Governor Cuomo, to reduce New York State greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent by 2050.
- New York City’s PlaNYC, which calls for reducing the city's greenhouse gas emissions 30 percent below 2006 levels by 2017, and advocates a range of clean-energy and conservation measures.
The Policy Objectives section in this report details how Con Edison is helping to achieve the goals of these state and local programs through new or ongoing initiatives using our long-term strategies.